AIP Meal Prep: Tuna & Shredded Cabbage Salad
Meal prepping was hard for me to get the hang of at first. I don’t particularly like taking the time to plan meals for the entire week, especially because available produce is unpredictable here. I typically go to the market with a loose idea of what I’d like to purchase, and create meals as I shop.
There are, however, a few staple lunches that I have gotten into a routine of prepping. Tuna over a shredded cabbage salad is becoming one of my staples. Cabbage seems to be consistently available here (hopefully that doesn’t change in the summer), and canned tuna is always available.
I never measure ingredients — I’m going to make an effort to as I share more recipes — but this meal prep is super simple. You can also use the cabbage salad for other meals during the week, not just with the tuna.
AIP TUNA SALAD
- canned tuna — I usually make 2-3 cans
- chopped red onion — 1/2 -1 whole onion
- chopped celery — about 2 stalks
- sea salt
- mashed avocado — It helps if the avocado is a bit over ripe so it mixes in more smoothly ((alternatively, you can use coconut or olive oil))
Other optional ingredients I use if on hand
- coconut yogurt — gives the tuna salad a bit of a tangy flavor
- finely chopped kale
- garlic powder
- fresh parsley
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. I recommend putting the tuna in the bowl first, then adding small amounts of each ingredient, tasting, then adjusting to your liking.
DISCLAIMER: don’t freeze tuna salad, unless you like the taste of cat food... learned that one the hard way.
Shredded Cabbage Salad (AIP)
- red cabbage — I usually use about 1/4 of a head
- Green cabbage — about 1/2 of a head
Other optional ingredients
- Shredded Brussels sprouts
- Shredded carrots
- Combine all ingredients then slowly incorporate dressing to your liking. I usually incorporate the dressing right away, but you can set it aside to use as needed throughout the week.
AIP TURMERIC SALAD DRESSING
- olive oil
- apple cider vinegar — about 1-2 tbsp ((start with a little, taste, then adjust))
- honey — about 1/2 - 1 tbsp
- turmeric — about 2 tsp ((start with a little, taste, then adjust))
- sea salt
- Combine ingredients and whisk until blended (or use an emulsifier). As you incorporate ingredients, taste then adjust to your liking.